Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lessons and more lessons

Lesson number three... if you don't have a trade, Second Life can hurt your bank account.

I fully admit to being an avid shopper, in-world and out. I love fashion and makeup and everything that goes into it, and SL is a lifesaver when I get that shopping urge and don't have the cash to blow in real life. However, SL shopping habits can get quite costly if not kept in check.

When I returned to Second Life I had a small amount of money left over from my last foray in-world. That didn't last long though, as my avatar was stuck in 2008 and needed a facelift pretty badly. Then I decided to take the plunge and go premium so that I could consider landowning eventually, and have a Linden Home to camp out at in the meantime. Following that I bought a few lindens for some furniture Then a few more.

Besides the premium fees my grand total is somewhere in the realm of $12 USD. Definitely not the worse I've done on a spending spree, and I know some people spend a lot more than that, but considering I've been back all of 2 weeks... this could become a big problem fast. It's all too easy to throw in $5 dollars here and $10 dollars there.

So I've decided I either need to curb my spending, or find a way to fund myself in-world. I don't see the first lasting long.... so I've decided to do both. I currently have 1,427 linden dollars. My goal is to make that last until the end of April. This budget will include the stipend from being premium, as I consider that already paid for, and anything I earn in-world. And meanwhile, I'm going to experiment, look around, and find something to do to fund my girlie from within SL. Besides stripping.

This won't be the focus of the blog... (although maybe it should be, since I don't seem to have a focus...) and I won't be spending the whole time telling you about all the wonderful freebies and deals that will make this budget much easier. There's plenty of blogs to do that. This is just a personal project and as such I'll throw out an update now and then. :)

No comments: